Gun violence (1 Viewer)

I myself drive a sporty, ultra-cool Subaru Forrester.

Is that the one with the WRX engine? A buddy has one, loves it.

Is that the one with the WRX engine? A buddy has one, loves it.
Hi there Paul, nope, all I have is the 2.5L "Boxer" engine. It has what seems like a rough start but purrs like a kitten. I average about 30mpg and sin e I only put about 10 miles a day on her, I'm not too adversely affected by the ridiculous gas prices.

I've had a number of Subarus over the years (who remembers the BRAT?) and all served me well.

Sounds like you put fewer miles on than I do. I bought my GTI in 12/16 and the odo is just coming up on 30,000. When it snows I do miss the AWD of the Subie though.

Just to reiterate. What is the point of supposed "gun control" in an environment where prosecutors "drop" gun charges if you are in the correct oppressed group, but enhance gun charges against individuals who are not a member of an oppressed group and who have not committed a crime.

Consider this situation where Patricia and Mark McCloskey where charged with a crime when they brandished guns as a potentially violent mob approached their house. So its "illegal" to attempt to protect your house, but a person who commits an actual crime through the use of a gun gets the gun charges dropped, which "frees" him to commit additional crimes with the use of a gun?!?!?!?!?!?! Our legal system has been turned upside-down.

Last edited:
Biden gun control is working well. Now it's legal in the USA to carry a firearm down the street. But, you can't have an abortion.
How weird is the usa?
Col

Biden gun control is working well. Now it's legal in the USA to carry a firearm down the street. But, you can't have an abortion.
How weird is the usa?
Col

Actually, many if not most US States will likely end up with a restriction on abortion similar to what most major European countries have, approximately to 15 weeks but not further.

germany - until 12 weeks
france - until 12 weeks
italy - until 90 days

So how is it weird? Most normal countries don't allow it unlimited, why should the USA stand out?

We now have the wonderful case that our choice on concealed carry is upheld but a choice on reproductive rights is not.

@ColinEssex - if you have the feeling that something is off-kilter in the USA at the moment, I would have a VERY hard time disagreeing with you except in specific cases. But your question is actually one that many of us are asking anyway.

We now have the wonderful case that our choice on concealed carry is upheld but a choice on reproductive rights is not.

But it's quite congruent, actually. The right to carry a standard personal self defense item (especially in dangerous cities like New York) is part of the Constitution, and with good reason. Whereas the right to kill a child clearly is not, nor should be, in the Constitution. It was invented to satisfy changes in society's moral values without legal grounds. Other than the interstate commerce clause, I can't think of any more distorted, made-up Constitutional doctrine..

So both decisions support the basic right to be alive and not killed. It's more the liberal thought that wavers and dodges in sketchy ways to rationalize pre-determined conclusions. The conservative doctrines have a consistency that's hard to beat.

OK,OK, don't get in a huff. I only asked a question, Jesus, can't ask a question without getting a sniping answer.
I'm sorry I took an interest in stupid American politics. As NG has said, I'll go and crawl back under a rock.
Col
Why do you have a problem with my answer? Did it make the point too well and that upset you?
Since you seem to have missed the point, I'll elaborate. Are you able to see how a population in another part of the world was going about their daily lives and then suddenly realized every one of them had a desperate need for weapons? And are glad they have them?

Let me know if I have to explain

Actually, many if not most US States will likely end up with a restriction on abortion similar to what most major European countries have, approximately to 15 weeks but not further.

germany - until 12 weeks
france - until 12 weeks
italy - until 90 days

So how is it weird? Most normal countries don't allow it unlimited, why should the USA stand out?
In the UK the limit for abortion is 24 weeks, so plenty of time for the woman to decide if she's been raped, especially if the father dumps her for getting preggers.
The TV news in the UK is stating that abortion is now illegal in the USA. They also state its OK to walk down a street wielding a gun. It just seemed weird to me that with a president saying the routine sympathy stuff for the latest massacre that he allows gun carrying to be legal. It seems in one day, the USA had gone back 100 years, what's next? Not allow women to vote?
Still, not my problem, unless I go to the USA, then I'll go to Walmart and get a gun and wander around caressing and worshipping it like Americans do.
In the UK, you can be arrested for carrying even a screwdriver unless you have a good reason.
Col

Capture+_2022-06-24-15-56-41.png

Huh?

But in all fairness, we knew Hollywood celebrities were not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed :p

In the UK the limit for abortion is 24 weeks, so plenty of time for the woman to decide if she's been raped, especially if the father dumps her for getting preggers.
The TV news in the UK is stating that abortion is now illegal in the USA. They also state its OK to walk down a street wielding a gun. It just seemed weird to me that with a president saying the routine sympathy stuff for the latest massacre that he allows gun carrying to be legal. It seems in one day, the USA had gone back 100 years, what's next? Not allow women to vote?
Still, not my problem, unless I go to the USA, then I'll go to Walmart and get a gun and wander around caressing and worshipping it like Americans do.
In the UK, you can be arrested for carrying even a screwdriver unless you have a good reason.
Col

Then maybe you need to stop getting your news from British TVs as they appear to be wrong about most American issues and we keep having to correct you.

Today's supreme Court decision did not make abortion illegal. In fact it didn't make anything illegal or legal.

All that it means is that individual states will have the right to decide how or if they want to restrict abortion. That's it! That simple thing is what everyone is getting all crazy about. I'm not really sure why. There has never been a constitutional right to get an abortion.

The degree to which most Republican states wish to restrict it is approximately similar to the degree that most European countries restricted anyway. This shouldn't even be big news. All we are going to do is probably end up with restrictions similar to Italy Germany France etc.

Why do you have a problem with my answer? Did it make the point too well and that upset you?
Since you seem to have missed the point, I'll elaborate. Are you able to see how a population in another part of the world was going about their daily lives and then suddenly realized every one of them had a desperate need for weapons? And are glad they have them?

Let me know if I have to explain
Yes, I wasn't referring to Ukraine. I simply asked that if the president is so all powerful, and he wants to stop mass shootings, why not change the constitution or make a law to outlaw gun owning. Then you come up with a sniping answer banging on about Ukraine for some reason.
Col

Yes, I wasn't referring to Ukraine. I simply asked that if the president is so all powerful, and he wants to stop mass shootings, why not change the constitution or make a law to outlaw gun owning. Then you come up with a sniping answer banging on about Ukraine for some reason.
Col
Very crafty, using the word sniping in relation to guns.

I have to give you credit, I've never seen anyone so skilled at immediately changing the subject instead of answering a question. You should be Biden's press secretary

den gun control is working well. Now it's legal in the USA to carry a firearm down the street. But, you can't have an abortion.
How weird is the usa?
Col
Perhaps you should read part of the US Constitution before making comments like this. Overturning Roe vs Wade put abortion control onto the individual states. Some have laws in place that restrict to a certain number of weeks, others have no restrictions, and I know of two states, Wisconsin to my north and Michigan to my north east that have laws over a hundred years old. Their state assemblies better delay their summer vacation and deal with them. They did have several weeks buy sat on their lazy butts.

The TV news in the UK is stating that abortion is now illegal in the USA. They also state its OK to walk down a street wielding a gun.

Colin, you know I try to explain things for you. First, a simple statement: If that is what the TV news is really saying, they don't understand what they heard or don't care that their comments are sensationalized. Which oddly enough sounds like some USA TV news wonks.

Abortion is no longer uniformly legal in the USA. What that means is that in the absence of a broad-brush federal (national) protection, it becomes a matter of states' rights, which in turn means that we have 50 places that can each decide what is right for them. The USA's laws declare three basic types of rights - those that belong to and are rooted in federal authority; those that belong to and are rooted in the authority of individual states; and those that belong to and are rooted in individuals. The Roe v Wade decision declared a federal right but was overturned. That means that the right belongs to either the states or to individuals. At the moment, states have either passed or shortly will pass laws regarding abortion rights, claiming that to be a states' right. There are some lawsuits pending against states with restrictive abortion laws that may EVENTUALLY lead to the other end of the pendulum, declaring that abortion is actually an individual right and states can't touch it either. But that part is for future events to resolve.

As to guns, states still have the right to require licensing and training in order to have concealed carry permits. The decision today was to strike down the law used by the State of New York that imposed an excessively restrictive standard for issuing a concealed carry permit. They would not allow a concealed carry permit for simple self-defense concerns, but it turns out that historically, that was one of the original concerns that caused passage of the 2nd Amendment right to "keep and bear arms." (Not the only one, but it was on the table during discussions.) The US Supreme Court said that the lower courts who upheld New York's restrictions had applied the law incorrectly by ignoring the history and text of the amendment and thus imposed a level of restriction not consistent with the amendment.

Colin, you know I try to explain things for you. First, a simple statement: If that is what the TV news is really saying, they don't understand what they heard or don't care that their comments are sensationalized. Which oddly enough sounds like some USA TV news wonks.

Abortion is no longer uniformly legal in the USA. What that means is that in the absence of a broad-brush federal (national) protection, it becomes a matter of states' rights, which in turn means that we have 50 places that can each decide what is right for them. The USA's laws declare three basic types of rights - those that belong to and are rooted in federal authority; those that belong to and are rooted in the authority of individual states; and those that belong to and are rooted in individuals. The Roe v Wade decision declared a federal right but was overturned. That means that the right belongs to either the states or to individuals. At the moment, states have either passed or shortly will pass laws regarding abortion rights, claiming that to be a states' right. There are some lawsuits pending against states with restrictive abortion laws that may EVENTUALLY lead to the other end of the pendulum, declaring that abortion is actually an individual right and states can't touch it either. But that part is for future events to resolve.

As to guns, states still have the right to require licensing and training in order to have concealed carry permits. The decision today was to strike down the law used by the State of New York that imposed an excessively restrictive standard for issuing a concealed carry permit. They would not allow a concealed carry permit for simple self-defense concerns, but it turns out that historically, that was one of the original concerns that caused passage of the 2nd Amendment right to "keep and bear arms." (Not the only one, but it was on the table during discussions.) The US Supreme Court said that the lower courts who upheld New York's restrictions had applied the law incorrectly by ignoring the history and text of the amendment and thus imposed a level of restriction not consistent with the amendment.
Doc I admire your generosity in time, if that's the motivation. But Col can't even stay on point when I give him two simple sentences in direct reply. Do you think he is actually reading yours?
Not unless the Adderall is kicking in soon.

Doc I admire your generosity in time, if that's the motivation. But Col can't even stay on point when I give him two simple sentences in direct reply. Do you think he is actually reading yours?
Not unless the Adderall is kicking in soon.
Yes I always read Doc's replies because he always tries to explain things carefully. I admit that as a foreigner it is very confusing sometimes because you seem to have a President as boss man, then you have senate and Congress who appear to make laws, then each state has its own government and do their own thing with little reference to what Washington says.
The UK television was reporting that following the supreme Court ruling, some states have banned abortion. (I admit I half heard it and thought it was a blanket ban, thanks to Isaacs for correcting me.) Which means if someone wants an abortion, then they go to a state that still does it and probably gives green stamps too.
I dont understand why there is such a fuss about it in the USA. If a girl gets drunk in the UK, or puts herself about a bit and ends up preggers and they don't want it, they get an abortion. Simple, it's been like that since 1967.
Col

Our Congress is based on your Parliament except both chambers are elected by the people. Bills they passed are either vetoed or signed into law by a President, similar to your Prime Minister, who is elected. The US is so much larger than Great Britain, so we also have state governments similar to Canada, a former member of the British Empire. What's so confusing? Our states have states' rights which allows them to have some of their own laws and from what I understand from reading about Canada, it seems Quebec has a lot of different laws including it's own language.

You can give credit to what happened with Roe vs Wade to the democrats, also known as the left because they tend to go too far with their wants and demands. There are eight states that allow abortion up to birth? What about Great Britain? One state, I believe Mississippi, passed a law to stop at 15 weeks. The left challeged it. It was appealed to the Supreme Court who then decided to review Roe vs Wade. If the left had left the Mississippi law alone, Roe vs Wade would still be around. Each state pretty much had it's own customs and way of life. If a state is too conservative, then the individual is free to move. A lot of newcomers to states try to change the laws and customs. And why do liberals move to these conservative states? Better climate and lower taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom