Orlando Shootings (4 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:10
Quite possibly, but we saw the light..
Col
And after owning a 1/4 the worlds land mass and a few hundred years of tyranny you now claim the moral high ground, that's rich.

Last edited:

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Colon,

Your line
still in a Neanderthal state in having to go out and kill animals just to put food on the table.
may indicate just how backward many on this forum are as to cultural acceptance of others. The indigenous peoples in Alaska continue to keep to a traditional way of life, similar to Britons had prior to a bunch of Italians coming over to teach them about roads and such. Unlike the Britons, they have succeeded in avoiding having their traditional lands taken from them... repeatedly.

I'd ask that you respect other's traditional values but I doubt it would sway you. Most simply lack the mental ability to understand other's points of view or accept a culture other than their own. This is to be lamented as more death and destruction has been cause by such intolerance than any other source we know of. At least you have the consolation of knowing may famous people were similarly motivated by dislike of other's because of their culture, religion, or ethnicity.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 10:10
Mark, I take my hat off to you.

An excellent piece of neat sidestepping of the issue at hand.
We all know we are talking about the wannabe pseudo macho morons with the 4x4 pickup truck who has limited intelligence.
Eskimos and Red Indians are a separate issue, we can discuss them if you prefer, but do not mix them up with the SUV morons with an arsenal of unnecessary weapons.

Oh, and Mark, may I refer you to post 96 where I say "Personally, I think it's cultural, American culture allows guns and killings, it always will. The NRA will dominate because they have massive power over politicians and pay well to get it. The British will never understand this level of lunacy and violence so prevalent in the USA."

Please try to read the posts and if possible understand them. I realise English is not your first language, so please ask if anything is unclear to you.

Col

Last edited:

Mark_

Local time
Hmm...
Per Colin
"We all know we are talking about"
... which translates into "I really can't support this BUT". Maybe he'd better take English lessons?

"Eskimos and Red Indians"
and there goes the blatant racial statements. Maybe all that can be expected of one who can't step away from the pub except to spread ignorance with a trowel?

Followed by his usual understanding of any culture not read from under his fish and chips.

Now as you may not know, there are other areas outside your local pub that have English as a language. I know, shocking. Course I'd expect you to discount anything your not familiar with with the same degree of willful ignorance and cultural disdain.

Please do carry on demonstrating your particular ability to express yourself on topics to which you are ignorant. You do play the "Boorish Brit" to the hilt!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hmm...
Maybe he'd better take English lessons?

. . . I'd expect you to discount anything your not familiar . . .

Actually old chap, it's "you're", not "your".

Col

Mark_

Local time
I see you can, a little unsure others can.

Here's a question, is being non-politically correct the same as being racist?

Col

Not sure.. Does not understanding one is being offensive mean one is mentally challenged? Great questions to answer!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Not sure.. Does not understanding one is being offensive mean one is mentally challenged? Great questions to answer!

I'm not sure you can just understand just one of those phrases. How that can indicate a mental state is beyond me, perhaps you can elaborate on that, although I doubt you will.

Obviously, I understand what both of them are, but when I mentioned Eskimos and Red Indians it was inferred I was racist, I wondered why.

Is it racist to say "Yank", or "Aussie" or "Paki"?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:10
Actually, in this case Colin, you are caught by old knowledge in a world that is changing.

To say "Eskimo" or "Red Indian" is no longer proper. "Eskimo" people now call themselves by the correct name of their tribal lineage, which is "Inuit." Inuit is a lineage like Choctaw, Cherokee, Seminole, Algonquin, Apache, etc. As a group, the "Red Indian" is now called the "Native American." These name changes started in the last 50 years and have been slowly increasing in usage. Sort of like the difference between "Negro" and "African-American" and "black."

The other thing you mentioned that you don't understand is the meaning of Magnum - which for us actually is a reference to an oversized cartridge for a given bullet. When we talk of caliber in a gun, a hypothetical 1000 caliber gun fires a slug one inch in diameter. The "American Eagle" handgun fires a .50 caliber (= 1/2 inch = 12.7mm) slug.

From the "Dirty Harry" movies, the guns were .44 caliber. The slug was .44 but the cartridge was slightly larger because it carried extra gunpowder. Most cartridges that are cylindrical are NOT magnums. But if you ever see a cartridge that is bigger around at its base than the bullet it shoots, that is a magnum.

You mentioned a .22 gun by saying you had no feel for it. That size bullet is close in size to the 5.56 mm round. Not identical but close. Oddly enough, Cajun hunters frequently use a .22 magnum for hunting alligators. So "magnum" and "caliber" attributes can coexist.

You also expressed disbelief that we would depend on hunting for food, but you miss out on a couple of points.

First, we sometimes license hunters to kill in order to thin natural wildlife herds that are over-eating their pastures and thus finding reason to wander into inhabited areas and eat Aunt Jane's petunias. Or Farmer Fred's corn. This is part of wildlife management, an attempt to not kill off every species we could possibly eat.

Second, there are those people who enjoy being closer to nature than the impersonal, cold glass of a supermarket's freezer case.

Third, it is often cheaper in some parts of our culture if you kill at least some of what you were planning to eat rather than go out and buy it.

Mark_

Local time
Colin,

I will share with you something you seem ignorant of. If you initiate a hyper text transmission protocol request to a dynamic name server, you may be able to local a page referenced as "www.google.com". This page will allow you to access other pages and allows you to pose queries to find answers.

Now as you do live with barbarians (and I'm guess you yourself would be one) you may want to expand your knowledge.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Doc - thanks for the reply. Basically, the bigger the number, the bigger the bullet.

Like most people in the UK, we know as much about guns and sizes and bullets as we know about the workings of the space shuttle - it's all a mystery.

As for Eskimos etc. I watched a modern documentary on TV the other week, and the presenter (British) openly referred to Red Indians and Eskimoes - no hint it was not PC as it isn't in the UK. One of our politicians referred to Negroes in a speech recently on TV. I guess it's a culture thing, not yet as sensitive here as in the USA.

Mark, any chance you can elaborate on your statement re mental health? Or shall I keep reminding you.
Thanks BTW for explaining about Google. I'll have to try it. Although I do prefer to ask people who have first hand experience of things. That's why Doc is so good.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:10
the presenter (British) openly referred to Red Indians and Eskimoes

If he was British then he was more distant from the USA discussions currently going on about cultural identity.

The "great American melting pot" seems to have cooled off and many of our blended cultures are beginning to separate. Like in traditional cooking, when mixtures of things start to separate, the results can get very messy and not at all palatable.

The current USA debate is just how far should one go in blending in to the overall American culture vs. how much of one's original culture should one retain? And why?

I believe that with the Muslim "No Go" zones I have heard about in European cities, many of the Muslims have decided that in THEIR situation, the answer is "retain a LOT of the original culture including isolationism to prevent cultural contamination." Just one man's opinion, but I don't think that's a good answer. But it DOES touch on a factor in the original topic.

When kids feel isolated because of exclusionary practices among various cliques in school, and particularly bullying from the "tough guys" clique, that is a dangerous and potentially deadly phenomenon. The jury is still out on some of the more recent events, but it sometimes appears that a sense of isolation leads to desperation and violence.

Mark_

Local time
The jury is still out on some of the more recent events, but it sometimes appears that a sense of isolation leads to desperation and violence.
In that Nicholas Cruz and Andrew Kehoe have much in common, at least from the information I've been able to find.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I believe that with the Muslim "No Go" zones I have heard about in European cities

It's weird but as someone living in the UK and a frequent European traveller, I have not heard or come across these.
A Californian colleague mentioned this to me over breakfast a few weeks ago, and I think the quizzical look I gave him spoke volumes.

Apparently in the UK there are "Muslim Ghetto's" that, as described by my friend, the police won't go near.
If this is true then I've never heard of it. I'd be interested to be proved wrong though.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Mark, any chance you can elaborate on your statement re mental health? Or shall I keep reminding you.

I'm interested in your comment about understanding one of those phrases.

If you choose to ignore my request, try this, perhaps you can explain why the British are "barbarians".

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Colin,

I will share with you something you seem ignorant of. If you initiate a hyper text transmission protocol request to a dynamic name server, you may be able to local a page referenced as "www.google.com". This page will allow you to access other pages and allows you to pose queries to find answers.

Now as you do live with barbarians (and I'm guess you yourself would be one) you may want to expand your knowledge.
That is the issue, when anyone bothers to give him a comprehensive answer i.e. Doc or yourself its met with more trolling. Its endless. That's why I just stick with sarcasm, its more satisfying in the long view.;)

Mark_

Local time
Well, as he is ignoring questions posed to him yet feeling entitled to answers to his own, I’d have to say he is very inconsiderate, rude, and self-centered. Based on his behavior I’d have to say those from Essex are rather undesirable and demonstrate why Roger waters has such a low regard for the British education system. I am glad that such petulance and childish behavior is not endemic for those posting here from the U.K.

@Minty,

I've never heard of one, though American media has portrayed areas near Paris the way you've described. Then again, I've seen how American media goes for the sensational rather than factual, so I seldom take what is presented at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom