Gun violence

Sure, ban the ar-15. With a caveat, in 5 years, when it's done nothing to quell the violence, you come back to the table and promise never to bring up sensationalized gun types again, and we start addressing the real causes and solutions.

Except that the gun control types in Congress will agree but then five years later will find a way to deny that the agreement was made.

Except that the gun control types in Congress will agree but then five years later will find a way to deny that the agreement was made.

Or ignore the statistical results, like they are about the 10 year ban on assault rifles that did absolutely nothing, and depending on your slicing of the numbers, may have made it worse.

The progressive trend though is to claim that the original agreement was somehow "inadequate" and that a more onerous law is needed to control the lawless miscreants. "Give them an inch and they will take a mile."

You do realize the whole mention of "ar 15" is just sensationalizing it, don't you?

They could have just as easily shot up the school with any old hunting rifle. They are both semi automatic.

So do you raise the age of buying a rifle, traditionally considered the most innocuous of the trio, to what? 21? Then what do we do when a 21 yr old shoots up a school? Raise it to 25? Then what?

Is it time to consider the reasons people turn to crime, rather than the tool they use?
By what you said you don't know the difference between a bold action hunting rifle with a 5 shot magazine and a semi automatic with a 30 round clip. You can't compare the firepower of the two. In the military I was an expert with the AR 15 and M1 Carbine. I know what I am talking about. People will always commit crimes, but I see reason to arm them with military weapons. I have no problem with a responsible person having a hand gun if it makes them feel safe at home, or having hunting style firearms.

But it has happened frequently here, from Sandy Hook to now.
And I thought the Sandy Hook shooter used his mother's gun.
Sounds racist to me, but I am a black, lesbian tranny that used to be a guy
Easy. The solution is to tear down the street sign. Think of it like removing a statue of a person you think is evil. Removing the statue erases the history, right? So removing the street sign will remove the crime.

The left no longer reveres MLK anyway. His message was too uplifting and positive. He wanted his children to be evaluated by the content of their character rather than the boxes they check in the intersectional chart. The left is now about boxes and preferential treatment of those who check certain boxes. MLK is probably rolling over in his grave. He gave us hope which Obama with his racism destroyed.

I have to say, Col, you're an odd duck. Most people would get a positive feeling, a good "relief" type of feeling from being able to defend their family.
Of course that requires family as an ingredient, who you value and who value you.

My impression of Europe continues to be one of godless single guy/single gals/ childless couples whose priorities are anything but family, and left with precious little to show for it at end of life. I'm thankful for the good old USA
Duck? Oh christ- I'd better not live in the USA, some gunslinger may shoot me.

Your not far off with the European impression, well especially the UK. Most people are godless, don't get married but live together until they fall out, then the female looks after the kid (on benefits of course) and the bloke goes off again sowing his wild oats. Marriage is outdated, so living together is less costly when the relationship fails.
In the UK, more people relate to The Beatles than Jesus.
Col

a violent home invasion--when homeowners are present in the house, or their wife or kids--occurs every two minutes in the USA.

if you lived here, you'd buy a gun, too.
The statistics I have heard suggested a gun kept in a house was something like ten times more likely to kill a member of the family that lived there than an intruder.

The statistics I have heard suggested a gun kept in a house was something like ten times more likely to kill a member of the family that lived there than an intruder.
That would be a handgun. In a house with long guns, children learn to shoot at an early age and learn respect for firearms. Handguns owned by city dwellers are an attraction to children who see movies where guns are fired with great regularity and since the parents don't teach the children how to use the gun and respect the danger, they look on it as a mysterious toy and are inclined to point them at each other. A gun that is locked away in a safe and unloaded isn't doing its job of protecting the family so laws designed to make children "safe" prevent the gun from keeping the family safe and instead make it a danger when the parents don't teach the children how to handle the weapon.

Don't get the impression that I think guns and children are a good mix. However, guns have been part of American life since the early days. But accidental shootings are a product of modern day "city" life. The difference today is that guns are now secret and hidden away which make them an attractive nuisance for children. Similar in many ways to swimming pools.

If a handgun isn't loaded and accessible, it is useless as protection and that is pretty much the intent of most gun control laws. If you can't actually depend on the handgun for protection then it poses too much of a danger to other members of the household and so you shouldn't even have one.

A gun that is locked away in a safe and unloaded isn't doing its job of protecting the family so laws designed to make children "safe" prevent the gun from keeping the family safe and instead make it a danger when the parents don't teach the children how to handle the weapon.
Takes me 2 seconds to open my gun locker and another 2 to chamber a round. How are you keeping the family safe if there's an unsecured loaded weapon available to a toddler.

Sounds racist to me, but I am a black, lesbian tranny that used to be a guy

Give all the boxes that would check, you must have NEVER had trouble finding a job. When we were feeling cynical about finding good candidates for a company for which I worked at least 3 employers ago, particularly if it had been a nasty day, we said we could shut up the Equal Employment Opportunity folks if we could just find a midget gay black programmer with a hearing deficit, paraplegic, and with a cleft palate.

Never actually found one, though.

Takes me 2 seconds to open my gun locker and another 2 to chamber a round. How are you keeping the family safe if there's an unsecured loaded weapon available to a toddler.
So given that you now have a loaded gun. What next? Shoot to kill? Shoot to wound or incapacitate? Or not Shoot at all. Let's say the intruder is an unarmed teenage opportunistic girl.
Col

So given that you now have a loaded gun. What next? Shoot to kill? Shoot to wound or incapacitate? Or not Shoot at all. Let's say the intruder is an unarmed teenage opportunistic girl.
Col
Col I suspect you've lived a long life. How many times has someone broken into your home while you were there? The likelihood is so slim it's nearly non-existent. I've lived in my current house 20 years and I cant think of once that I've locked my doors, even while away on vacation. I'm not even sure I have keys. About the only crime in the neighborhood is kids breaking into unlocked cars and stealing change. Not even a burglary in 20 years.

In high school I had a friend whose little brother shot and killed his other little brother with an unsecured weapon. It devastated the family. I've never forgotten that and I always secure my weapon when I get home even though it's just me and my adult daughter.

To think you're making your family safer by having a loaded gun in mommies night stand when there are kids in the house is ridiculous.

By what you said you don't know the difference between a bold action hunting rifle with a 5 shot magazine and a semi automatic with a 30 round clip. You can't compare the firepower of the two. In the military I was an expert with the AR 15 and M1 Carbine. I know what I am talking about. People will always commit crimes, but I see reason to arm them with military weapons. I have no problem with a responsible person having a hand gun if it makes them feel safe at home, or having hunting style firearms.

There are plenty of differences but let's focus on the similarites, shall we? Each time you pull the trigger, the gun fires. Semi automatic. Same.

And there are plenty of rifles that hold more than 5 rounds :)

So again, why was the ar-15 responsible for the school shooting? Explain to me precisely why it couldn't have been done with a hundred other types of rifles, which you don't for some reason want to ban?

Col
And let's say she's holding a gun. What would you do, Col? Be a martyr and a hero? I'm sure....

If you are Hunter Biden you can lie to the Department Of Justice ATF to get your gun. Then throw it away in a dumpster near a school.

On Oct. 23, 2018, President Joe Biden’s son Hunter and daughter in law Hallie were involved in a bizarre incident in which Hallie took Hunter’s gun and threw it in a trash can behind a grocery store, only to return later to find it gone.

Delaware police began investigating, concerned that the trash can was across from a high school and that the missing gun could be used in a crime, according to law enforcement officials and a copy of the police report obtained by POLITICO.

Most of us follow the rules, but some folks are very reckless with firearms and should be prosecuted.

If someone wants to have an accident with a gun, that's kind of their business isn't it?

That shouldn't deprive all of us the right to self defense.

Marriage is outdated, so living together is less costly when the relationship fails.
Actually it's much more expensive to do that, but people can predict their own lack of commitment, which is I suppose better than being self unaware.

I take it you have no family, else you'd get a good feeling from being capable of protecting them, as a normal person would

Takes me 2 seconds to open my gun locker and another 2 to chamber a round.
Compliments for fitness. You are extremely trained for an event that is unlikely to occur. It practically always takes me more than two seconds to get from one room in the house to a specific other room.

I've never been tempted, so I ask: How are you trained to shoot at the right moment, i.e. not too early, just because you're panicked?

Or does the law that you see in films apply, according to which you can shoot at anything on your property and only ask afterwards what was going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom